February 28, 2010

2010 - Day 59

This is a picture of an empty cup of hot chocolate at an adorable chocolate cafe. This post, however, is about The Hurt Locker. It is a not so secret ambition of mine to one day be a member of the Academy. Until they magically invite me to join, I have been seeing all of the best picture Oscar nominated movies on my own. I was really excited about The Hurt Locker which I thought had a good chance of winning the Oscar for Best Picture. I like war movies, and think hopefully in 20 years this movie about the Iraq War will be fascinating look at who we were. However, it was a little too much for me. I am unresolved in my feelings about war in general and the wars we are currently involved in specifically. It really struck me how the movie did not give a single redeeming purpose for the Iraq War. I spent 2 hours and 10 minutes in complete anxiety, clenching my jaw and hoping everyone didn't blow up. Not exactly what I look for in a Best Picture, but it was different and it was fascinating, and it was really hard to remember that you were not watching a documentary. I guess we'll have to wait until next Sunday to see what the rest of the Academy thought!

No comments: